Studied at Harvard Business School
Works at SHALnCO
Available Wednesday at 1:00 AM UTC
Questions? Start chatting with this coach before you get started.
• I have been fascinated and passionate about finance, investing and the stock markets since I was a teenager, and I parlayed this interest into a career on Wall Street. I have over two decades of investment experience and also extensive personal and professional experience in investing. • Professionally, I interned in various bulge bracket firms during college and also at an investment management firm during business school. Specifically, I have worked in Morgan Stanley as an investment banking analyst in M&A, in Putnam Investments as a summer MBA intern, Merrill Lynch in sell-side equity research after business school and then Goldman Sachs in a variety of roles but most recently, as a Vice President in the Growth Equity Team in Goldman Sachs Asset Management. • I have founded my own company, SHALnCO, where I teach women how to invest in the stock market. (www.shalnco.com). • I have a unique perspective on the financial services industry, especially as I have also been the only woman on an all-male team on multiple occasions. • I have an undergraduate degree in Economics from Princeton University (1998) and a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from Harvard University (2002). I am also a CFA Charterholder and a member of the CFA Institute. • I applied to and was accepted into Harvard Business School with only two years of work experience. I have successfully helped many candidates with their MBA applications to top MBA programs and positioned them for success. • I also love to travel and write and have self-published some books (available on Amazon). I look forward to helping you achieve your MBA and/or finance goals!
Why do I coach?
I had an incredible time at Harvard Business School and am a strong advocate of getting an MBA degree, especially for women. It has made a difference in my career and my network. I also believe in helping others and have helped coach family with their successful applications to top MBA programs. I also have extensive experience on Wall Street in finance, such as investment banking (Mergers & Acquisitions), sell-side equity research and buy-side asset management in firms such as Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch and Goldman Sachs. I was also head of Princeton recruiting at Morgan Stanley in M&A. I loved my time on Wall Street and would love to help you with where to interview, skill development and/or interview prep. In addition, throughout my time on Wall Street, I noticed that I was frequently the only woman in the group. I also received many questions from friends asking me how they can start investing. I truly believe that financial freedom and independence, and understanding how investing can help you grow and preserve your wealth is so important. To that end, I coach and teach people on how to understand, research and invest in the stock market. I try to do so in a fun way that will resonate with people, especially women.
August 2019 - Present
SHALnCO is a company driven by its mission to inspire women to take control of their own financial lives and independence by actively participating in the stock markets. We offer an educational newsletter, courses and 1x1 and group coaching on how to invest in the stock market.
September 2008 - Present
CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) charterholder, Member of CFA Institute
Vice President of Finance
August 2004 - July 2012
- Worked in various roles throughout Goldman Sachs. - Most recent role was as member of investment team focusing on growth equity in Goldman Sachs Asset Management. - Responsible for generation of investment recommendations in Agriculture, Specialty Chemicals, E&C, Smart Grid, Machinery, Global Infrastructure, Materials sectors across various portfolios. - As of September 2011, ranked #1 in performance attribution out of thirteen team members for the last month, year and YTD time periods for midcap and large cap growth products. - Also worked in Investment Strategy Group, which is a macro investment group focusing on global investment strategies and tactical asset allocation for the firm's clients.
Assistant Vice President
August 2002 - September 2004
- Member of Equity Research team. Primary coverage of Harley Davidson (HDI) and Polaris Industries (PII). - Also helped cover restaurants, leisure and airline industries.
Investment Banking Analyst
July 1998 - July 2000
- Worked in Mergers, Acquisitions and Restructuring Department. - Member of various deal teams advising both domestic and international corporate clients on all aspects of mergers, acquisitions and corporate restructurings, both on the buy-side and sell-side. - Performed industry analyses and developed financial projections on a standalone and pro-forma basis with a view to establish company specific valuation and develop transaction structures for clients. Participated in due diligence and assisted senior management in preparing offering memoranda. - Worked on a number of transactions in industries such as Telecommunications, Semiconductor, Industrials and Forest Products. - Headed recruiting team for analysts from Princeton University.
Shal was also given offers to work at
Harvard Business School
MBA, Business Administration
2000 - 2002
- Co-President of the Women’s Student Association (WSA). - Published a research paper “Private Company Restructuring: Conflicts of Interest Between Various Stakeholders” in the Journal of Private Equity (Spring 2003).
1994 - 1998
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Certificate Program in Applications of Computing, June 1998. - Performed independent research on various aspects of finance and asset management.
Shal was also personally admitted to
Shal has helped clients get into these schools: