Stanford GSB has announced its application deadlines for the upcoming 2023-2024 application cycle. Here is a brief overview of the new dates, as well as the broader application.
2023-2024 Application Deadlines
Round 1: September 12, 2023
- Decision Notifications: December 7, 2023
Round 2: January 4, 2024
- Decision Notifications: March 28, 2024
Round 3: April 9, 2024
- Decision Notifications: May 23, 2024
All application materials, including letters of recommendation and application fee payment, are due at 4 p.m. PST (7 p.m. ET) on the deadline date.
*Note: The GSB does not have an alternate deadline for deferred applicants. Prospective deferred candidates can apply in any of the above rounds, though most apply in Round 3. For more information on Stanford’s DMBA program, head to Stanford GSB Deferred Enrollment Program.
Stanford sends out notifications via email to the address associated with the application. They will also post the update to the online application profile. Notifications are released on the date specified above, not earlier, and they will not accommodate requests for early notifications.
Which Application Round Should You Apply To?
Generally, the earlier the round, the better your chances of admission. Round 1 has more seats available than Round 2, and Round has more seats available than Round 3, so with each round, the admissions committee gets increasingly selective. Whenever possible, apply in Round 1.
Stanford GSB specifies several other benefits of applying in Round 1 or 2, including:
- Time to complete any quantitative prerequisites
- Access to the on-campus housing lottery (Jack McDonald Hall and Schwab Residential Center)
- Additional time to complete the visa application process (for international students)
- Opportunity to attend Admit Weekend
- Only one application required for MSx and MBA programs, rather than two separate applications
Still not sure which round is right for you? Read An Overview of the MBA Admissions Rounds: When to Apply To Business School.
MBA Coach Recommendations
To give yourself the best chance of admission to a top MBA program, we highly recommend working one-on-one with a coach. They’ll be able to provide personalized tips and guidance that are customized to your background and goals. Below are some of our top coaches, browse all of them here.
Stanford GSB Application Overview (2023-2024)
In order to apply to Stanford, you will need the following:
- GMAT/GRE Score – Taken on or before September 12, 2018 for R1, January 4, 2019 for R2, and April 9, 2019 for R3
- Read: How Late Can You Take the GMAT/GRE for MBA Applications?
- 2 Essays – The prompts have remained the same: “What matters most to you, and why?” and “Why Stanford?”.
- 2 Letters of Recommendation – GSB uses the Common Letter of Recommendation and asks you to request recommendations from your current direct supervisor and another from someone else who has supervised you.
- Academic Transcripts – Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Some equivalent degrees from international universities are accepted.
- Application Fee – $275 non-refundable fee for traditional applicants; $100 for deferred candidates. Active US service members and veterans may be eligible for a fee waiver.
- Resume – You’ll be required to submit an up-to-date business resume.
- Personal Information, Awards, Activities – Miscellaneous information that you’ll be asked to fill out.
- Interview – About 10% of applicants are invited to interview. They are conducted by a GSB alumni or MBA admissions officer.
For a more in-depth look into Stanford’s MBA program, including the curriculum, program structure, application items, class profile, and more, see Stanford GSB – MBA Program and Application Overview.