How I Nailed My MBA Interview and Gained Admission to Top 10 Business Schools–An MBA Interview Checklist for Success
A list of things to do before your MBA interview to help you prepare answers to the most common questions and gain admission to a top program, written by an expert Leland coach and Kellogg MBA.
By Dalal A.
Posted February 3, 2023
Hi, I’m Dalal A., an MBA and GMAT/GRE coach on Leland. I did not come from a “prestigious” undergraduate institution, have a great GPA, or work at a brand-name company, and yet I got into some of the best business schools in the world. Here is my advice for acing your MBA interview. I hope you find it helpful. If you’d like to work with me on any part of the MBA application, book a free intro call on my profile to get started!
MBA Interview Checklist
Preparing for an MBA interview can appear to be a daunting task, but it isn’t so bad if you know what you need to do. Here are several things that you can do before the interview that will set you up for success ahead of time. Use it as a checklist to guide you through this final step in the b-school application.
- Make sure that you have first learned about the school and the qualities that they are looking for in candidates. Take the time to learn about their missions and values, look thoroughly at the schools, talk to the schools’ staff, students, and alumni, and look at the accomplishments of previous candidates. See if you identify with any of them and ask yourself, “Can I envision myself here?” If you can, the interviewer will notice your passion and drive, and this will set you apart from the other applicants.
- Practice answering questions about your previous work experience and future goals so that you will feel calmer and more confident during the interview. When discussing these experiences and your skills, keep it brief and to the point. You don’t have very much time to go into detail.
- Arrive on time for the interview. Your punctuality speaks volumes, especially if the interviewer is running behind schedule. Additionally, if they are late, there is less pressure on you and they will allow you to breeze through your first-round flash questions.
- Be yourself and be confident without being arrogant. It is essential to maintain a positive attitude while remaining grounded. Many students experience anxiety before the interview, but this is a positive trait because it demonstrates that you care about the outcome.
- Maintain eye contact and listen attentively to the interviewer. A lack of concentration or attention indicates a lack of attention in the school. I can’t stress this enough: listen and show that you’re listening. In other words, when the interviewer is speaking, show sincere interest in what they’re saying and refrain from interrupting. Try not to daydream or start formulating an answer in your head. It is totally acceptable to pause occasionally to gather your thoughts. This will demonstrate your competence and maturity. In sum, practice the art of attentive listening.
- Display a genuine interest in the program. MBA interviews will typically last for 30 minutes, and occasionally, you’ll be given the opportunity to ask a few questions at the end of the interview. Prepare ahead of time and make a list of important, thoughtful questions. If you have trouble expressing sincere interest, it might be time to reconsider your choice of school and whether it’s the best fit for you.
- Come prepared. Make a list of your top three strengths, weaknesses, and priorities so you can easily recall them when answering questions about yourself during the interview. Conduct mock interviews with friends. The only sure way to improve and gain confidence is through practice.
Following these things helped me gain admission to several top business schools, and I hope it will help you as you prepare for the MBA interview. For additional guidance and personalized advice on any part of the MBA application process, I would be more than happy to work with you. Head to my profile and book a free intro call so that we can discuss your plans, candidacy, and application.
Leland provides you with the content, community, and coaching that you need to get into your dream MBA program and accomplish other ambitious goals. Sign up today to gain access to additional free resources, community events, small group classes, world-class coaching, and more.
October 12, 2023
Six Coaches’ Best Advice for the MBA Interview
The top tips from six MBA application experts on the interview process to help you as you prepare.
October 12, 2023
How to Build a Lasting Connection in Your MBA Interview
MBA application interviews can be high-pressure and arduous. Here's how to build a lasting connection with your interviewer, from a Booth MBA and former Admissions Fellow.
October 20, 2023
What Do You Actually Learn in Business School?
A current MBA candidate at Harvard Business School provides an inside look at what you actually learn in business school.
May 4, 2023
Why ChatGPT Can’t Write Your Personal Statement
While ChatGPT is multifaceted, there is a compelling argument against using AI for your personal statements. Here is one expert's take on the revolutionary technology and application essays.
March 17, 2023
How to Nail Your Virtual MBA Interview
Interviewing at HBS? GSB? Wharton? Nail that virtual interview with these helpful tips and tricks—only on Leland.
May 5, 2023
What GPA Do You Need to Get Into Graduate School?
How much does your college GPA actually matter to graduate programs? How high of a GPA is "good enough"? A former Director of Stanford Graduate Admissions addresses the importance of GPAs to higher ed. degrees.
February 27, 2023
Craft a Powerful Essay for Stanford GSB: What Matters Most & Why?
Ben L., a GSB MBA, expert coach, and pro writer, outlines his top advice for nailing the challenging and broad Stanford essay prompt, to help you get into one of the most prestigious MBA programs in the world.
July 29, 2023
Moving Beyond Frameworks: The Secret to Excelling in Product Management Interviews
In the world of product management interviews, one commonly held belief is that mastering certain predefined frameworks is the key to success. Here's why an overreliance on these frameworks can actually be detrimental, and what to do instead.
September 6, 2023
The 5 Best Classes at Stanford's Graduate School of Business
An overview of the top 5 classes at GSB, from an expert coach and Stanford MBA.
March 17, 2023
How to Answer the "Why an MBA?" Essay Question
A common essay and interview question of top business schools, admissions committees want to know why you're choosing to get an MBA. Here is one expert coach's insight into crafting a compelling response.
August 17, 2023
From No Offers to Multiple Offers–How to Take Your Casing to the Next Level
Tips for management consulting case interviews that got one applicant several job offers at MBB and other top firms.